The weather on Saturday is forcing the Town of Franklin to push back their Founders Day Celebration until Sunday at Kate Mountain Park. The events will still begin at 10am and run all day with music, food, activities, and vendors. The origin of the name Kate Mountain came from the early families who settled at the foot of the mountain in 1829. Benjamin Philbrick Lamson and Sally Cate were both born in New Hampshire and married in Vermont where they had eleven children. The Cates built their home on the slopes of the mountain, which was named after them. Somewhere along the line for some unknown reason, the name Cate has been changed to Kate. In 1985, the Town Board walked and evaluated all town owned property as a possible recreation site. A Citizens Committee was formed for input on a site. In May 1986, a survey of the Tyler property was conducted. A topographical map and an APA permit were completed. On December 2, 1986, the property was deeded from Hubert and Gene Tyler to the Town of Franklin, a parcel containing 28.67 acres. The property was purchased for $28,150.00 from Federal Revenue Sharing Funds.
Upgrading of the property has been done since that time through grants and volunteer fund raising by the recreation committee. Developing the park is a large project and will take a few more years. Power and water have been brought to the site, a pavilion has been built, a great place for a picnic. Ball games now take place in the updated facilities. A play structure has been installed, paid for by contributions and fund raisers. A skating rink and hiking trails are being completed. It has been called a scenic oasis in the Heart of the Adirondacks. Funds raised at Founders Day will be earmarked for future upgrades in the park.