A 12-year old Florida girl has taken her own life after apparently not being able to handle a steady stream of cyber-bullying.
Closer to home, An Out of the Darkness Community Walks Sponsored by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is planned for Sunday, October 6th. Every fall, family members, friends, and colleagues walk together in hundreds of communities across the nation to prevent suicide, raise awareness, and end the stigma that surrounds depression and other mental disorders.
To fully achieve its mission, The Foundation engages has Five Core Strategies:
1) To Fund scientific research,
2) To Offer educational programs for professionals,
3) To Educate the public about mood disorders and suicide prevention,
4) Promote policies and legislation that impact suicide and prevention,
5) To Provide programs and resources for survivors of suicide loss and people at risk, and involve them in the work of the Foundation
Since 1987, the foundation has established more than 50 local chapters in 35 states. The Out of the Darkness walk in Lake Placid will highlight all of the work of the foundation and provide opportunities for families to remember and to raise awareness in the local community..