Report: Navy Yard Shooter Called Newport Police About ‘Hearing Voices’ Last Month

BOSTON (CBS/AP) – The gunman who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard Monday was reportedly in Rhode Island last month and called police about hearing voices.

According to a Newport Police report obtained by WBZ-TV, Aaron Alexis was in town August 7 and called them claiming voices were harassing him in his hotel room at the Marriott.

According to the incident report, Alexis told officers he has never had “any sort” of mental episode and claimed he had switched hotels twice because voices were speaking to him through the walls.

Police notified the Newport Naval Station about the incident.

Alexis, 34, a former Navy reservist, had been undergoing treatment for hearing voices in the weeks before Monday’s shooting rampage, but was not stripped of his security clearance, officials said Tuesday.

He used a valid pass to get into the highly secured installation Monday morning and started firing inside a building, the FBI said. He was killed in a gun battle with police.

The motive for the mass shooting — the deadliest on a military installation in the U.S. since the attack at Fort Hood, Texas, in 2009 — was a mystery, investigators said.

U.S. law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that there was no known connection to terrorism and that investigators have found no manifesto or other writings suggesting a political or religious motive.

Alexis had been suffering a host of serious mental problems, including paranoia and a sleep disorder, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation was still going on.

(TM and