Today on the K&J show we’re talking about an announcement on Tuesday Evening from the Friends of the Old Stone Barracks and official recognition from the Preservation League of New York State who has announced the naming of the Barracks as one of their top 7 historic locations in the state… There were about 120 people in attendance at the Clinton Community College Science Theater for the announcement of the sale.. The announcement took place at the Clinton Community College Science Center on Tuesday evening. It was attended by many local leaders including Congressman Bill Owens, Assemblywoman Janet Duprey, Plattsburgh Town Supervisor Bernie Bassett, and Town Councilman Marty Mannix who is also a member of the board of “Friends of the Old Stone Barracks.” The Group, along with the property itself has received recognition from the Preservation League of New York State. The Barracks has been named as one of their top 7 historic locations. The Preservation League of New York State was founded in 1974, and they invest in people and projects that champion the essential role of preservation and community revitalization, sustainable economic growth and protection of historic buildings and landscapes..
Alice Church is an officer of Friends of the Old Stone Barracks.. She was given the opportunity to publicly announce their agreement to purchase the building and the property.. To accomplish their goals, Friends of the Old Stone Barracks is embarking on a capital campaign to raise $225,000 over the next five months to finalize the purchase and to move into the preservation and stabilization phases…
Friends of the Old Stone Barracks tell us they’ll be reaching out to the community for help with the fundraising and will also be looking for grants and other opportunities to help protect the entire property from otherwise being developed as apartments or something other than the military history that it represents.. They hope to find state funding as well and as for the federal level, there’s not much there but Congressman Owens added that there are a few possibilities.
The Old Stone Barracks is now one of Seven historic locations named by the Preservation League of New York for 2014.. and on it’s way to being sold to an organization (Friends of the Old Stone Barracks) that will protect it’s historic military heritage in the community…
Here’s an Excerpt of the Barrack’s History;
Built between 1838 and 1843 with massive stone walls, heavy timber framing, and a beautiful two story columned porch running the full length of the north facade, the building has a remarkably intact exterior. With views of Valcour Island, Cumberland Head, Grand Isle and the Green Mountains of Vermont, the building conveys the central role that military activities played in the history of the Champlain Valley.
The Old Stone Barracks was originally built as a barracks for enlisted soldiers and adjacent to it was a similarly sized building for officers. The officers’ quarters was demolished in 1964. In addition to the Barracks, also surviving today from this mid-19th century period, are a brick powder magazine, the post parade ground, and the nearby “Old Post Cemetery.”
As the oldest extant building on the Plattsburgh Base, the Old Stone Barracks conveys the importance this northern frontier post held during the first half of the nineteenth century, a period in which the United States was stabilizing politically and militarily in the wake of confrontations with Great Britain. The significance of the former barracks is reinforced by the fact that it contained a hospital, as well as mess rooms, sergeants’ rooms and kitchens. It housed military bands including one headed by John Phillips Souza and even a U.S. Naval squadron in 1944, a rehabilitation center and home to Champlain College for returning veterans after WWII. Serving a variety of functions, it encapsulated the sense of historic military life.